Planning to join the #HPSummer Twitter Party on August 19? Be sure to read this blog post first to see what it's all about, and if you have more specific questions, check out our answers below.
If you're new to Twitter, we recommend checking out Twitter's guide to getting started. Once you've read that, the easiest way to see what it's all about is simply to set up an account and play around with it! Follow a few people you know or celebrities you like, send a few tweets of your own - the more familiar you are with how it works, the more fun you'll have on the night of the Twitter Party.
What's a Twitter Party?
A Twitter Party is a Twitter-based conversation that takes place at a certain date and time. By using a pre-determined hashtag, Twitter Party participants can both read what others are saying during the party and send their own tweets for everyone else to see. (For more information on how hashtags work, see Twitter's Help Section).
With House Party, a Twitter Party is a chance to meet some new friends (and House Party staff!) and win some awesome prizes while doing so.
You don't need any special equipment or programs to participate in a Twitter Party. You simply need to have a Twitter account and follow the hashtag that is used for that particular party. (There are a few different easy ways to follow a hashtag; more on that later.) For the House Party #HPSummer Twitter Party, the hashtag to follow is simply #HPSummer.
When the party starts, keep an eye on the @HousePartyFun Twitter account. We'll be posting conversation topics and opportunities to win prizes. More importantly, though, remember to talk to your fellow tweeters! There'll be hundreds of other House Party fans just like you ready to chat, so don't be shy.
I'm in! How do I prepare?
To participate in the House Party #HPSummer Twitter Party, you'll need to:
- Have a Twitter account. (Don't have one? Not a problem: simply create one now at www.twitter.com)
- Follow @HousePartyFun (and our Twitter party sponsor, @DietzAndWatson!)
- Make sure you're a registered House Party member. (Otherwise, you aren't eligible to win a #HPSummer Twitter Party prize!) Also, review the address associated with your House Party account and update it if you need to. You'll be happy you did this if you win and have a prize headed in your direction.
- Keep an eye on the #HPSummer hashtag and be sure to use it in all your tweets for the Twitter Party.
- Make sure you're familiar with the tool you're using, whether it's www.twitter.com or a third-party platform like HootSuite. (We recommend checking out the official #HPSummer homepage here. It'll let you easily see all of the #HPSummer tweets and send any of your own!)
- Spread the word - the more the merrier!
- It's easy: just hit the "Tweet this" button at the top of this blog post so your followers can see what we're up to and join in on the fun!
When is the House Party #HPSummer Twitter Party?
The #HPSummer Twitter Party starts at 8:00 pm EST on Tuesday, August 19. It will last about an hour.
Do I need to RSVP?
Nope! There is no need to RSVP - just show up ready to tweet at 8:00 pm EST on August 19.
Who can participate?
The House Party #HPSummer Twitter Party is open to everyone! Complete rules and regulations are available here.
What could I win?
We'll be giving away a variety of great prizes at the #HPSummer Twitter Party, such as:
- Dietz and Watson gift packs
- House Party shirts, water bottles and other swag
- $50 iTunes gift cards, to put together the perfect summer playlist
- $250 Home Depot gift card, for those summer projects you've been waiting to start
- $500 Visa gift card, to throw the ultimate summer bash
How will I know if I've won a prize?
If you win a prize at any time during the #HPSummer Twitter Party, @HousePartyFun will "@ mention" you to let you know. Keep an eye on your @ mentions! Also, be sure to follow @HousePartyFun so we can Direct Message (DM) you with any additional instructions; we'll be DMing winners the next day with more information.
How do I follow a hashtag and tweet along during a Twitter Party?
There are a few different ways to follow along with a Twitter party - no one method is right for everyone. Options include:
- The #HPSummer homepage: Check out the official #HPSummer hub. If you log in with your Twitter account, you can see House Party's tweets at the top, everyone else's #HPSummer tweets at the bottom, and a bar in the middle where you can send tweets of your own. (Be sure to scroll through @House Party's tweets to make sure you're seeing the most recent ones.) We think this is the easiest way to follow along with the Twitter Party, so check it out!
- www.twitter.com: By searching for #HPSummer in the Twitter search bar, you can see the most recent tweets that have included the #HPSummer hashtag. Twitter gives you two options for filtering search results: "All" or "Top" tweets. We recommend using the "All" option if you want to see what everyone is talking about. The downside of using twitter.com is that it often proves difficult, during a busy Twitter Party, to keep up in real time with all of the tweets being posted.
- Third-party platforms, like HootSuite or TweetDeck: Many users like these programs because they allow you to see multiple "columns" at the same time. For instance, you can have a column showing #HPSummer tweets, a column showing all tweets from @HousePartyFun, and a column showing all tweets in which you were mentioned by another user. The downside to these programs is that they require registration (for free), and if a Twitter Party is experiencing a heavy amount of traffic, they may not show all possible tweets.
Can I follow the Twitter Party from my mobile phone?
The easiest way to follow along with a Twitter Party is from your computer, but if you're on the go and don't want to miss out, there are handy tools you can use right from your phone. Twitter, TweetDeck and HootSuite all offer mobile apps that will allow you to search for and follow a hashtag (in this instance, #HPSummer). Be sure to check out these tools before the Twitter Party starts so you can decide which one works best for you.