Tis the season to get outside and move! Stay fit all summer long with these summer fitness tips: 1) Have a buddy. It's always more fun to work out with someone, and having a partner will keep you more motivated to reach your goals.
2) Take advantage of long summer days. It's a lot easier to work out when it's light out, so get an early morning workout in, or take advantage of the extra hours in the evening.
3) Switch it up! Varying your exercises is better for your muscles and also makes your workouts more interesting. Hiking, running, tennis and swimming are great summer fitness activities, but why not try an outdoor yoga class or try something new like kayaking. Check out Danielle's new workout addiction, CrossFit.
4) Be active throughout the day. Take the stairs, ride your bike, park far away from the office door, make it a routine to take a 15-minute walk at lunchtime or get in an extra walk with the dog - all of these can add up to some serious calories burned.
5) Eat right. While working out is important, you also need to be mindful of what you eat. Try to cut down on eating out and make sure to get lots of fresh fruits and veggies in every meal. Plus the heat of summer is perfect for eating light anyway. Take a weekly trip to the farmers' market to stock up, and if you want some tips on how to navigate a market, we've got you covered!
6) Make some healthy summer food swaps. Switch out some carbs or sugars with better options. Learn how: Healthy summer food swaps.
7) Drink up! Hydration is so important whether engaging in summer fitness activities or not, and here are 5 tips on how to do it.
8) Get plenty of sleep. Sleep suppresses your appetite and raises your metabolism, while allowing your body to rest and recover. All very important factors for a healthy weight!
What are your tips for staying active this summer?