I recently moved to California and one thing I've been pleasantly surprised to discover is that avocados are pretty cheap out here. I've paid as much as $2.50 for an avacado back east but I've paid as little as fifty cents per avocado here in the East Bay area of California. I love avocados because they have so many uses. I've compiled a list of my top five recipes with avocado that don't involve making guacamole.
Top 5 recipes with avocado:
1. Eggs baked in avocado If I'm going on a hike or know I won't be able to eat for a while but have some strenuous activity to do, I use this baked eggs in avocado recipe. This will fill me up while not weighing me down and gives me enough energy to plow through whatever strenuous task I have ahead of me.
2. Replace mayonaise with avacado I don't have a link for this one because I came up with it myself.
I love sandwiches and I love mayonaise on my sandwiches. Unfortunately, mayonaise doesn't love my waistline and has next to no nutritional value. While it tastes delicious on a turkey hero, I usually regret the decision to slab some mayo on my sandwich, so I came up with a healthier alternative. Take half of an avocado and a tablespoon of fat free greek yogurt and smash it together in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and any herbs of your choice. Use this as a healthier substitute for mayonaise on your sandwiches.
3. Meatless Mexican smoothie This is another recipe I came up with and I use it if I feel a detox is in order. It uses Mexican-inspired flavors. I take one avacado, a hunk of garlic, a tomato, a bunch of cilantro, some spinach, a jalapeno (optional), a dash of salt and pepper, some lime juice and water. Throw it all in a blender and let that bad boy run until all ingredients are blended smoothly. I drink this throughout the day - it's another recipe that will keep me satisfied without weighing me down.
4. Avocado fries This one isn't healthy, but it's delicious so, whatever. This recipe involves battering and deep frying avocado slices to make avocado fritters, of sorts. It's delicious, give it a whirl.
5. Creamy avocado pasta sauce Craving pasta but bored with traditional marinara or alfredo sauce? Give this creamy avocado pasta sauce a try. It works with a variety of proteins and all pasta. There's always pasta lying around in my cupboard, and if I have some avocados on their way out, this is a quick and easy way to use for dinner them before they start to rot.
So, there you have it. A simple fruit like avocado (Yep, fruit...remember...seeds!) can end up being quite the healthy go-to component of any meal. Give a couple of these recipes a try and you'll see! Or, if you have a favorite avocado-inspired recipe, let us know in the comments below.
About the Author: Larry is a friend of House Party. Larry currently resides in the East Bay region of California. He enjoys all things wine related, and spends a lot of his free time in Napa and Sonoma learning about wine. Larry is also a Mixed Martial Arts enthusiast. He enjoys practicing, watching, analyzing and commentating on all things MMA. Larry also enjoys cooking, fine dining, entertaining and hanging out with Maximus, his Jack Russell Terrier.